District 6220 is selecting Outbound students to travel abroad for the 2022-23 school year. Selection occurs in the fall of 2021, with a required conference on Oct 16 for traveling students and at least one parent. Contact your local Rotary club for a Preliminary Application.
For help finding your local Rotary Club – 6220 Rotary Clubs. Or email us at email@example.com
District 6220’s Rotary Youth Exchange study abroad program offers a unique international cultural and educational experience for qualified students from Northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, either during your junior or senior year of high school, or as a gap year after you graduate from high school.
The basic program objectives are to:
- Develop international understanding and goodwill
- Become fully immersed in another culture
- Share your cultural values with others
Qualifications of Applicants:
- Age 15.5 to 18.5 at the time of departure (August 1)
- Have a GPA of at least 2.75, or be in the Top 50% of your class
- Have full support of your parents
- Attend three mandatory orientation conferences (October, February and July)
- Be open to new experiences and cultural differences
- Foreign language experience is NOT required
- Participation in extra-curricular activities and organizations is helpful, as it demonstrates your ability to participate as a team member in sometimes stressful situations
- Follow the rules of the program, and be able to accept counsel and advice from Rotary volunteers
- You’ll attend high school full-time in your host country (even if you’ve already graduated from high school here in the USA), and be a student ambassador, both sharing your own culture and adapting to your host country’s culture.
Can I pick my country?
You cannot be guaranteed to be assigned to a particular country. During the application process, you’ll be asked to consider the list of about 40 countries, and select from among those for which you are qualified (some countries limit access based on language ability, age, and diet or health considerations). Go here to see more information on country selection.
While in your Host Country, you will receive:
- One year’s education at a public or private high school
- A host family who will provide room and board and other support during your exchange year
- The opportunity to travel in the country and region
Cost of the Full-Year Exchange Program:
The cost for 2022 travelers is $6,800, which includes the following:
- Round trip airfare and your visa to any country in the world to which you will be assigned
- Health and accident insurance during your year abroad
- Training Conferences for students and parents – Fall and Winter
- Rotary blazer, reading material, and other goodies
- Language camps (if required by your host country)
2020-21 Outbounds at our District 6220 Winter Conference
Yes, of course there are rules! Please look them over by going to this link:
Sounds Great! What do I do now?
- Contact your local Rotary Club to ask them about their selection process for the Rotary Youth Exchange program. Or fill out this form and we will get hold of you More Information/I am interested! Deadline for applying is around October 1.
- Once you’re selected by your club, you and your parent(s) will attend our District 6220 Orientation Conference, which is held in mid-October, and then fill out the long-term exchange application.
- By early January, you’ll get your country assignment!
- You and your parent(s) will attend the District 6220 February Orientation Conference.
- Make your travel arrangements (don’t worry, we’ll help you!)
- Make plans for the big Central States Rotary Youth Exchange Summer Conference, held in Grand Rapids, Michigan in July, with over 1,100 fellow exchange students. It’s a big deal!
- Get ready to go overseas to your new country, your new home, your new family, and your new school!